Coutinho Urges Residents Using Generators to Power their Homes to Take Precautions to Ensure Safety

Assembly Democrats News Release

Coutinho Urges Residents Using Generators to Power their Homes to Take Precautions to Ensure Safety

(NEWARK) – Following the death of two teens in Newark who died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator kept too close to a window, Assemblyman Albert Coutinho (D-Essex) on Thursday cautioned residents who are using generators to power their homes to heed recommended precautions to avoid injury or worse.

“New Jerseyans braved this devistating storm and are now trying to adjust to the aftermath. Millions are without power with no real assurance on when it will be restored. Many residents are relying on generators to power their homes, which are convenient, but can be extremely dangerous if not used properly,” said Coutinho. “Generators should only be used outside in a well-ventilated area, and individuals using them should follow all instructions for safe and proper use. As we pick up the pieces, I urge residents who are using generators to take these extra steps to ensure the safety of their families. As we’ve seen in this tragic case, it could mean the difference between life and death.”


www.assemblydems.com
NJ Assembly Dems on YouTube
NJ Assembly Dems on Vimeo
NJ Assembly Dems on Facebook
NJ Assembly Dems on Twitter
NJ Assembly Dems e-mail alerts

 

On the Net:
The Assembly Democratic Office Web site
NJ Assembly Dems on YouTube
NJ Assembly Dems on Vimeo
NJ Assembly Dems on Facebook
NJ Assembly Dems on Twitter
NJ Assembly Dems e-mail alerts

"Sit down and shut up!"
—Gov. Chris Christie, to a Hurricane Sandy heckler